Papunet Web Service Unit
Clear and accessible communication
Every human individual has the need to interact and communicate with others, and the right to do so. We all have the right to participate and feel that we are rightful members of society.
There are however people who due to problems with producing or understanding speech have difficulties interacting, communicating and participating in decision making that concerns their own lives and being actively involved in their communities and society.
As there can be many different reasons behind speech impairments, the impairment also affects the life of each individual and their surrounding community differently. If a person has difficulties producing or understanding speech, communication can however be facilitated through rehabilitation, and other means than speech can be used in situations of communication.
In Finland there are over 50000 persons with speech impairments and around 40000 persons with intellectual disabilities.
The Papunet Web Service Unit promotes participation and an equal society for people with speech impairments and others who need support in learning, understanding and communicating.
The unit produces the Papunet website. It is an accessible website for people who communicate and use the computer in a different way. It also offers information and material for their families and close ones as well as professionals and students in the field, on such issues as communication, developing accessible web services, and the rights and possibilities of people with speech impairments.
Another central goal of the unit is to lobby for more accessible, easy-to-read (ETR) web services, especially in the public sphere. The unit develops guidelines for realizing accessible web services, performs accessibility assessments for ETR websites and offers training and consultation on accessibility.
What do we do?
- We produce the Papunet website. It is an accessible website for people who communicate and use the computer in a different way. It also offers information and material for their families and close ones as well as professionals and students in the field, on such issues as communication, developing accessible web services, and the rights and possibilities of people with speech impairments.
- We develop guidelines for realizing accessible web services. Our accessibility pages offer updated information on timely issues regarding accessibility and easy-to-read (ETR) language. On the pages we share material and guidelines that help in constructing easy-to-read, easy-to-use and accessible web services.
- We perform accessibility assessments on easy-to-read web services. We carry out assessments free of charge for issuing the Finnish Easy-to-read logo (selkologo) together with the Finnish Centre for Easy to Read, as well as more extensive, chargeable expert assessments and user testings.
- We provide training and consultation. The Papunet experts give training on e.g. accessibility, ETR web services, easy-to-use and easy-to-read community services, designing user interfaces for easy-to-use games and applications, and user-based design in web services for special needs groups.
- We exercise influence in society. Our goal is to encourage more and more organizations, especially public organizations, to produce accessible web services through ETR.
- We develop ETR web materials that are realized with new methods and technologies. Within the Selkoilmaisu arjen tukena (ETR Supporting Daily Life) project (2013–2015) we are currently developing and producing ETR material relating to health and safety through new techniques and designing guidelines for their realization.
Papunet Web Service Unit
Viljatie 4 A
tel. +358 9 348 090
Papunet Web Service Unit (www.papunet.net)